What is an inner ear bacterial infection?
It is a kind of irritation or inflammation of the labyrinth part of the ear which is responsible for hearing and maintaining the balance of the body. The reason behind this infection is bacteria or virus but virus has been reported as the major cause. These viruses include polio, influenza, Epstein-Barr virus, and herpes viruses. The infection then causes the dysfunctionality of the Eustachian tube in adult’s ear.
As compared to outer and middle, the inner ear infection can take comparatively longer time to heal. The inner ear bacterial infection symptoms also differ from the middle and outer ear, e.g. vomiting, dizziness, and nausea are the symptoms felt in inner ear infection, unlike the middle ear.
The infection can take a duration of few days or can extend up to a week or two and in chronic cases, can take six weeks to cure. In severe cases, the infection can cause a permanent hearing loss or damage vestibular system, responsible for maintaining body balance.
Inner ear bacterial infection symptoms:
Symptoms are an indication of a disease and for an inner ear infection in adults are as follows:
- The infected person feels dizziness
- Spinning of sensations
- Vomiting and nausea are also the common indications
- The infected person finds an imbalance in his walks and balance of the body
- Pain in the ear and also a loss of hearing
- Tinnitus (Feeling ringing in the ear)
- Feeling fullness in the infected ear
- Discharge of liquid from the ear
For treating the symptoms, medication is prescribed by a doctor which can help in reducing inflammation, swelling, and all sort of irritation within the inner ear. Also, through proper medication vomiting, dizziness, earaches can also be eliminated.
Combating inner ear bacterial infection through home remedies:
Medication from a doctor is the best possible solution to treat the disease but there are also some home remedies to treat the infection. Some of them are listed below:
- Using warm bandage or cloth can comfort pain
- Keeping head in the upright position can drain the infected ear
- Gargle with the help of saltwater can comfort a sore throat
- Limiting alcohol and avoiding smoke
- Using over the counter (OTC) drops for the ear to relief pain
- Some home ingredients like apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic oil. And basil can also work
But its highly recommended to consult your doctor before going for any of the home remedies listed above.
Preventing inner ear infection:
As the saying goes, “Prevention is better than cure”, so why to get our inner ears infected with virus or bacteria? Let’s go for prevention by adopting the following:
- Stay hygienic
- Make sure to wash hands properly and frequently
- Refrain from sharing drinks and food with those suffering from the ear infection
- Avoid smoking
- In case of children, they must get vaccinated to protect them against infections
Prompt treatment can save you from losing hearing power or long-term balance problem of the body